"Not enough memory" on Sun 386i/250 under SunOS 4.0.1

Peter S. Shenkin shenkin at cunixc.cc.columbia.edu
Thu Mar 30 14:54:43 AEST 1989

> I have a Sun 386i/250 (8Mb main memory, 327 Mb hard disk).  Since upgrading
> to SunOS 4.0.1, I can't get large programs ("size" > ~6 Mbytes) to load;
> the message is "Not enough memory."  ...
> ...  I did not have the problem under SunOS 4.0.

I have resolved this problem, as follows.  Apparently, under SunOS 4.0.1,
Roadrunners are shipped with a 4096 kbyte limit on datasize hard-wired
into /bin/csh.  The statement "unlimit datasize" in .cshrc fixes things.
This limit did not exist in the version of /bin/csh shipped with 4.0, as I
verified by restoring it and checking.  Nor could I find any notice of it
in the Sun literature.  Then again, I had a beta version of 4.0, so I
don't know for sure what was shipped with the final release.

> FLAME:  (Re: repartitioning the system disk)
> Unless I'm missing something, the instructions in Sun386i Advanced
> Administration, Section 7.2-3, are simply wrong.  These indicate that after
> increasing /dev/rootb (swap area) at the expense of /dev/rooth (/files),
> the system should boot uneventfully from tape.  In fact, the boot fails....

Alan Evans (evans at cunixc.cc.columbia.edu) replied:

  Your boot problem was the following:

  Your machine as a standalone wants to be a YP server and client and
  when it tries to start ypserv in rc.local, it can't because the YP
  database is in /var/yp which, since /export/var/localhost is mounted on
  /var, which doesn't exist until the /dev/sd2h partition is restored. For
  that matter, /tmp is in /dev/sd2h as well in your configuration. Nothing
  in the clusters is actually needed to boot, even on a networked machine.

(Incidentally, this verifies that the instructions are, in fact, wrong,
since the machine they refer to is configured the same way.  My initial
analysis of the problem -- the idea that something in .../clusters was
needed -- was also wrong!)

Peter S. Shenkin:    shenkin at cunixc.cc.columbia.edu
Department of Chemistry, Barnard College.