"Not enough memory" on Sun 386i/250 under SunOS 4.0.1

Pat Lashley apple!serendip!pat at decwrl.dec.com
Thu Mar 16 08:08:27 AEST 1989

In article <8902231707.AA12812 at columbia.edu> shenkin at cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Peter S. Shenkin) writes:
>	3.  Doubled the size of the swap-space, from 16.3 to 32.6 Mbytes,
>	    and made sure this took place using format> partition> print.
>	    (See FLAME below on repartitioning operation... grrr!)

Um, you really didn't have to do this.  I tend to run -LOTS- of windows.
Some of them have big applications in them (i.e. GNU emacs with ispell,
compile, etc.).  When I realized that I was short on swap space, here is
what I did (as root) (my system name is `serendip'):

	cd /files/swap
	mkfile 16m serendip
	swapon /files/swap/serendip

The final line may be placed in your rc.local so that you don't have to do
it again.  Make sure that you don't use the `-n' flag to mkfile.

If client swap files can be normal NFS mounted files, why can't you use
one locally (at least as an expansion device).

-Pat

--- Reply to address below - DO NOT auto-route or trust address in header ---
PMLashley	sun!cohesive!kla!pat		cohesive!kla!pat at sun.com
KLA Instruments	POBox 58016, 3901 Burton Drive
		Santa Clara, CA 95052		+1 408 988 6100