Securing the Server?

David G Anderer anderer at vax1.acs.udel.edu
Thu Mar 30 04:08:48 AEST 1989

Setting:  A public site with a dozen or so diskless Suns connected to one
server.  YP in use.

Problem: How do I prevent people from getting to the server via TELNET or
RLOGIN?  There's no reason they should run jobs on the server, and a good
one they shouldn't.

However, since we're using YP, that implies they must be in /etc/passwd on
the server, and thus by definition they have a legitimate account on the
server.

I'd like to keep YP because it does handle some things well - such as
permitting someone to change their password for the entire cluster rather
than on a per-machine bases.

My one solution was to use some file other than /etc/passwd as the YP
passwd map (such as /etc/passwd.clients).  That works, except the server
then has no knowledge of these accounts, and so things like ls -l on the
server are messy because they display user numbers rather than user names.

If there a way (short of source) to only allow SOME accounts remote access
to the server?

Dave Anderer
Academic Computing and Instructional Technology
University of Delaware