Upgrading from SunOS3.5 to SunOS4.0 on Sun3?

atul k chhabra achhabra at uceng.uc.edu
Wed Mar 15 00:56:03 AEST 1989

First, thanks to all those who recently helped me with the "lpd" and "csh"
problem on SunOS3.5. I got numerous responses and was too lazy to respond
to each of them individually.

Now, we are thinking of upgrading from SunOS3.5 to SunOS4.0 on a Sun3
workstation. I want to hear about any unpleasant experiences that you may
have had if you upgraded to SunOS4.0. In the past, I have seen some people
on the net complain about SunOS4.0. I would also like to hear about any
major bugs in SunOS4.0.

We are running PD as well as proprietary software on the Sun. I would like
to know if the upgrade is likely to affect any of the software.
Specifically, I am interested in the effect of the upgrade on the
following:

	1. Unix-TeX/LaTeX
	2. Imagen's Unix-host software for Imagen8/300 laser printer
	   (we are running Version 2.0 of Imagen's Unix-host s/w)
	3. Transfig (we are running Version 1.4, Release 3)
	4. Fig (1.4FS)
	5. Fig2epic (V1.0a)
	6. Texsun (previewer for dvi files)

Does the distribution for SunOS4.0 come with an upgrade script for
upgrading from 3.5, or does it require reinstalling the system from
scratch?

[[ Complete reinstallation.  It's real fun.  I recommend you install 4.0
and then immediately install the 4.0.1 "upgrade".  As for the third-party
software:  the only problems I know of were with Imagen's host software.
I'll mail you my collection of bugs for it.  When remaking TeX, try using
"-O4".  Makes a bit of a difference.  --wnl ]]

Thanks,
Atul

Atul Chhabra, Dept. of Electrical & Computer Engineering, ML 030,
University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45221-0030.

voice: (513)556-4766  INTERNET: achhabra at ucesp1.ece.uc.edu [129.137.33.114]
                                OR achhabra at uceng.uc.edu [129.137.33.1]