Upgrading from SunOS3.5 to SunOS4.0 on Sun3

Charles Hedrick hedrick at geneva.rutgers.edu
Thu Mar 30 05:29:33 AEST 1989

I recommend strongly against moving from 3.5 to 4.0 or 4.0.1 unless you
have a very clear need to do so.  The problems seem mostly network
related.  They occur in the kernel, and particularly in rpc.lockd and
various yp-related software.  If your machine is either standalone or
almost standalone (e.g. you use telnet and ftp, but not NFS, yp, or
lockd), you may well not notice these problems.  All of the problems I
know about (except for the problem of nfsd hanging in "D" state) are fixed
in 4.0.2.  4.0.2 should be out very shortly, so I would wait for it.
Also, if you are using Suntools on a 4 MB machine, you may find
performance unacceptable under any 4.0.x.  It seems to depend upon the
exact way you use it.  You may do better by putting back the 3.5 versions
of some of the more commonly-used Suntools applications, but most users
feel that even then things are noticably slower under 4.0