Idle remote dumps?

Marcel Beelen mbee at oce.nl
Wed Mar 15 01:16:13 AEST 1989

Since a few weeks, we have a very strange problem with our dumps. We do
sun backup's as follows:

rsh system /etc/dump 0usbdf 100000 50 100000 backuphost:/dev/nrst1 /dev/rxy0d

for a dump to video-8.  or :

rsh system /etc/dump 2usdf 100000 100000 \
			backuphost:/backup/system/rxy0d/level.2 /dev/rxy0d

for a incremental to disk.

Sometimes, after a while (the time seems a random factor), the dumps on
'system' gets idle, and the dump hangs forever (untill we do a kill of
course).

The problem is not related to sun, because this problem also occures on
other BSD systems. All the hardware seems o.k., and the network is
electrically functioning normal.

What is happening here ???

Marcel Beelen
OCE-Nederland B.V.