SLIP and PC-NFS and Sun-3's?

Micky Liu micky at cunixc.cc.columbia.edu
Fri Mar 10 14:30:23 AEST 1989

I am attempting to install SLIP on my Sun-3/140 running SunOS 3.5.  The
sources for SLIP that I have are from my PC-NFS V3.0 distribution.  I've
connected an IBM PS/2-50 running DOS 3.3 to the serial port...  I've tried
to follow all of the directions as closely as possible, and after a bit of
futzing have actually gotten some of the things to work.  Now for some
questions:

 1) Is there a way to get better performance from this setup?  I am
    running at 9600 and the telnet performance has much to be desired.
    If I ran a simple terminal at that speed it would be much faster.
    Of course this is due to all of the overhead involved with SLIP,
    what I need to know is why there is the 9600 limit?

 2) I can succesfully use telnet, rcp, and rpcinfo...  But ftp does
    not transfer files (not even small ones).  I can make the
    connection, but then it hangs.

 3) Of course, you are wondering why I am going through all of this
    grief...  After I get this part to work, I need to get my PS/2
    to function as a router, to extend my ethernet over a very long
    distance over twisted-pairs...  Any hints as to software that can
    do something like that?

 4) All of the time that I was doing this, I was wondering if I was
    missing some major piece of documentation...  Is there some Sun
    Doc that describes how to install SLIP (other than the blurb in
    the PC-NFS doc)?

Thanx,

Micky Liu

  arpa: micky at cunixc.cc.columbia.edu