View2 as a "toolkit"?

Mike Jipping jipping at cs.hope.edu
Thu Mar 9 17:44:24 AEST 1989

Fellow Sun-Spotters:

Let's assume that I have a Sun 3/60 running SunOS 4.1 with X11/NeWS, a
DecStation 3100 running DecWindows, and a HP machine (whatever model)
running X11.  All windowing systems are "based on" X11 and are claimed to
be "compatible" in every way with X.

Will a toolkit used on one of these machines "port" to another fairly
painlessly?

You see what I'm driving at.  If View2 is simply an X toolkit running in
an X environment, can I use it on a DecStation?  Or an HP?  If a "port"
isn't possible (whatever that means in an X environment), then what
happens if the DecStation uses the Sun as an X server?  What happens then?

I don't know a whole heckuva lot about X yet, but I'm learning.  This
toolkit business is REAL inviting if I can standardize window environments
across machines from various vendors.

      Mike Jipping
      Hope College
      Department of Computer Science