Sun 3 console question

hgcvax!evecs!lindh at nisc.nyser.net hgcvax!evecs!lindh at nisc.nyser.net
Tue Mar 14 13:30:11 AEST 1989

casey at lll-crg.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) writes:
> erickson at frith.egr.msu.edu (Carl B. Erickson):
> > Can someone point me to the fix that has been discussed for using a
> > terminal as the console on a Sun 3?  I believe this involved a small
> > circuit of some sort.
>
> We use standard ascii terminals as the consoles of all our file servers.
> After the systems have been up for a while, the terminals lock up and we
> haven't figured out how to break them out of that mode.

Here at the University of Hartford I run 2 Sun-3/160 Servers and we use
standard VT100 terminals as consoles. No circuits needed!  We have had it
that war for over 3 years, just remember to change the EEPROM.  But since
a VT100 depends on X-ON/X-OFF it looses letters in some modes like
firmware mode or running programs that do not use X-ON/X-OFF But they
never hang, and we never turn them off. Also the terminal's BREAK key
works as a RESET, so we don't need to get to the back of the Sun. We also
use VT100's for normal terminals off the clients.

--
Andrew Lindh, a student at the University of Hartford -- Computer Science
West Hartford, CT -- School Switchboard (203) 243-4100 -- ask for Math/CS