Sun 3 console question

tom reingold tr at jcricket.ctt.bellcore.com
Tue Mar 14 13:50:21 AEST 1989

In Sun-Spots-Digest Volume 7, Issue 163, message 14 of 18, On the
subject of "Sun 3 console question", casey at lll-crg.llnl.gov (Casey
Leedom) writes:

> We use standard ascii terminals as the consoles of all our file servers.
> After the systems have been up for a while, the terminals lock up and we
> haven't figured out how to break them out of that mode.  This happens
> reliably on two 3/180s and a 3/280 running SUN OS 3.4, and two 3/280s
> running SUN OS 3.5 on a whole variety of terminals.

You should use a terminal that doesn't have a lock mode or that you can
unlock with a certain key sequence.

Or better yet, ground DTR on the serial link so that the Sun always thinks
that the terminal is always on, even when you power it off.

Tom Reingold                   |INTERNET:       tr at ctt.bellcore.com
Bell Communications Research   |UUCP:           bellcore!ctt!tr
444 Hoes La room 1E225         |PHONE:          (201) 699-7058 [work],
Piscataway, NJ 08854           |                (201) 287-2345 [home]