system coming down when console unplugged

steven kishaba sacto!empm2!kishaba at sun.com
Thu Mar 30 23:19:04 AEST 1989

Hi!

This is my first message on the net, so please bear with me....  We have a
"headless" 3/280 with an ALM 2 board and a Hitachi drive.  Our vt100
console is connected to ttya via a flat cable and 2 hoods.  We have had
some problems with our (vt100) console coming unplugged from its port and
shutting our machine down...we were told that a special hood could be
constructed to prevent the problem ( with the following specs ):

        There is any easy hardware workaround to this problem:

            tty     |
            port    | 2 ----------------    \
            on sun  |                        \
                    | 3 ------x---------      > to customers equipment
                    |         |              /
                    | 7 ----------------    /
                    |         |
                    |         |
                    |        | |
                    |        | | 4.7k resistor, 1/4 watt
                    |        | |
                    |         |
                    | 25 -----x

        Be sure the resistor is attached at the Sun CPU connector, not the
	terminal end or switchbox end of the cable....

HERE'S THE PROBLEM:  it doesn't seem to work...there is no voltage on pin
25 of our sun board (ttya) to pull up the other line.

Does anyone have this installed and working? or have had the same problem?
or know another way to achieve the same result?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Steven Kishaba
California Dept. of Food and Agriculture
Environmental Monitoring and Pest Management
1220 N Street, room A-149
Sacto., CA 95814
(916) 324-8916
... ucdavis!caldwr!empm2!kishaba ...