Controlling page faulting?

Alan J. Broder ajb at retina.mitre.org
Thu Mar 16 11:50:27 AEST 1989

We have an application running under Sunview which uses a large buffer
(about 20 Mbytes) as the source for rasterops to the screen. Our system (a
Sun-3/280) has 32 Mbytes of memory. A critical part of the application is
that blits from  the buffer to the display have to happen as quickly as
possible. In particular, this means that we wish to be sure that the
buffer never pages out to disk. The question is, how can we control the
operating system to prevent it from paging out certain pieces of virtual
memory. Other operating systems provide the ability to "lock" pages into
memory. The best I can see in SunOS is the vadvise function call, which is
for the most part useless !!!

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Alan J Broder
ajb at cornea.mitre.org   <------ Use this address please !!!!