Adding new device drivers in Sun OS 4.0

Kenneth S. Goss goss at cs.umn.edu
Thu Mar 16 11:10:05 AEST 1989

In upgrading from OS 3.5 -> 4.0, I have had to reinstall a custom device
drive for a dataqube we are using. I followed the same procedures used in
3.5 for adding a device to a kernal (editing sun/conf.c, conf/files, and
the kernal source and running config kernal_name) but config kernal_name
will not place the necessary dependencies in the Makefile for building the
kernal, ie. ../kernal_name/Makefile does not include instructions to
compile and link the new device driver.  I've tried forcing the link, but
the kernal still won't work, so the question is, how do I get config to
recognize the new device drive routines?

Please e-mail responses to : goss at umn-ai.cs.umn.edu

Ken Goss
AI Admin
goss at umn-ai.cs.umn.edu