can I get 'vi' for IBM-PC

William LeFebvre phil at Rice.edu
Thu Mar 23 23:04:34 AEST 1989

> Another tragic vi-related disaster.  There may be a chapter of VA
> (Vi-aholics Anonymous) in your area.  It's not too late!

Have I ever told you my favorite "modal editor" disaster story?  Seems
this guy went to edit this report about editors, using his favorite modal
editor (I think it was Xerox's "Bravo", but I'm not sure).  Well, in the
middle of editing, he was momentarily distracted by a phone call.  After
he finished with his call, he went back to his editing session.  After
looking at the screen, he went to type in the next word of the report,
forgetting that he wasn't in insert mode.  Unfortunately, the word he
typed was "edit".  "e" selected the entire document, "d" deleted the
selected region, "i" put the editor in insert mode, and "t" was then
promptly inserted in his buffer.  His entire document had been replaced
with the letter "t".

Remember, kids, just say no!

	William LeFebvre
	<phil at Rice.edu>