can I use a window like a device?

Joe Smith jes at mbio.med.upenn.edu
Thu Mar 23 22:04:03 AEST 1989

What magic incantation is required to start a sunview tool and repeatedly
write to it like it was a hard-wired device?  Perhaps an example would be
clearer.  Here's how I guessed it might work (but doesn't):

sunplot &		# sunview plot(3) viewer starts up
[1] 1418
ps
 1418 p3 T     0:04 sunplot
 1419 p3 R     0:00 ps
graph <xy >/dev/ttyp3           # send a graph to sunplot
graph -b <xy2 >/dev/ttyp3       # overlay another graph, and so on

This is (obviously) no good, since all the processes started from that
cmdtool use ttyp3.  I've tried redirecting from /dev/ptyxx (a wild guess):
that almost works, but behaves oddly on several counts.

It's a trivial point, but I'm curious.
--
 Joe Smith
 University of Pennsylvania                    jes at mbio.med.upenn.edu
 Dept. of Biochemistry and Biophysics          (215) 898-8348
 Philadelphia, PA 19104-6059