X11 color on 3/60

Steven D. Miller steve at grinch.umiacs.umd.edu
Sat Mar 4 15:42:05 AEST 1989

To make a /dev/cgfour0, become root, go into /dev, and:

	# MAKEDEV cgfour0

You might want to remove /dev/bwtwo0 while you're at it; I think Xsun
didn't do what was expected on a color 3/60 here if bwtwo0 existed.

That's all there is to it.  When X11 comes up, you'll have a mono display
on one virtual screen, and a color one on the other.  Move the mouse off
one side of the screen (I don't remember which, but I think it's the left)
to get to the color display.

The mono screen is {hostname,unix}:0.0, and the color one is 0.1.  You'll
need to run window managers on both displays explicitly.

There are some fine points here that I don't understand -- I don't know
how to get Xsun to use only the mono frame buffer or only the color frame
buffer -- but that should be enough to get you started.

Warning:  the X11 mono stuff isn't too bad on a 3/60, but the color stuff
is a dog.  How much of that is hardware versus software is not clear to
me.

	-Steve

Spoken: Steve Miller    Domain: steve at mimsy.umd.edu    UUCP: uunet!mimsy!steve
Phone: +1-301-454-1808  USPS: UMIACS, Univ. of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742