X11 color on 3/60

trinkle at purdue.edu trinkle at purdue.edu
Thu Mar 9 14:02:31 AEST 1989

> That's all there is to it.  When X11 comes up, you'll have a mono display
> on one virtual screen, and a color one on the other.  Move the mouse off
> one side of the screen (I don't remember which, but I think it's the left)
> to get to the color display.

Either side will work, it is circular.

> There are some fine points here that I don't understand -- I don't know
> how to get Xsun to use only the mono frame buffer or only the color frame
> buffer -- but that should be enough to get you started.

If you wish to use only one screen, use the -dev option to Xsun.  I use

xinit xterm -C <xterm opts> -- X.cgfour -dev /dev/cgfour0 ; kbd_mode -a

The X.cgfour is necessary on our machines because all of the Purdue+
speedups to not work correctly on a cgfour, so we have a separate binary
for the cgfours.  You can, of course, replace /dev/cgfour0 with
/dev/bwtwo1 to use B&W only.  I like the colors, so I put up with the
slower performance.

> Warning:  the X11 mono stuff isn't too bad on a 3/60, but the color stuff
> is a dog.  How much of that is hardware versus software is not clear to
> me.

A lot of work was done by Gene Spafford and Sam Kimery for the Purdue
speedups on B&W units because that is what they had at the time.

Daniel Trinkle			trinkle at cs.purdue.edu
Dept. of Computer Sciences	{backbone}!purdue!trinkle
Purdue University		317-494-7844
West Lafayette, IN 47907