NFS vs. flock?

Philip Kos osiris!phil at aplcen.UUCP
Wed Mar 15 05:18:31 AEST 1989

Another question from the peanut gallery.

The very same applications I spoke of in my previous posting are in need
of some way to control concurrent access to a file in a remote (NFS) fs.
They have been calling a simple interface function that uses flock, and
it's pretty clear that this doesn't work (hey, I'm not a Sun guru, I just
have to act like one :-( ).  I can change the way the function tries to
lock the file, but I don't know of any way to make it work.  Can any of
you suggest something for me?  (Moving the file onto the client is not an
option for physical security reasons, plus there are several clients
banging on this file simultaneously which is why it needs to be locked in
the first place.)

Still trying to get it right,

Phil Kos