Integrating Sun's and Mac-II's in a network?

Wouter Jansweijer swivax!jansweij at nluug.nl
Tue Mar 14 20:53:55 AEST 1989

After I had put this message to the "comp.sys.mac" newsgroup I thought it
will be interesting to hear opinions from the Sun community. So, here it
goes. Sorry I didn't "cross-post" it.

Our local sysop is a bit worried about adding Mac-II's in our network of
Sun-workstations.  If you had the choice between getting a Sun on your
desktop or a Mac-II which one of the two would yopu prefer and why?

Currently our network consists of a number of Sun-workstations in an
Ethernet-network.  Seen from a Sun the network presents itself as one
integrated system.  The filesystem, e-mail, printers etc. are completely
transparant no matter on what machine you are working.

   o  How will the Mac-II present itself in such a network?

One of the disadvantages I see is that the Mac-II's will need their own
UNIX-binaries, but I think we can live with that (because we already have
Sun-3's and Sun-4's and a HP-workstation....).  But.....

   o  Can the Mac-II's operate with one copy of the UNIX-binaries
      from a file-server?

Wouter Jansweijer	Phone: (31)-20-525.2152 (.... 525.2073)
EMAIL:	jansweij at swivax.UUCP  {seismo,decvax,philabs}!mcvax!swivax!jansweij
SNAIL:	Department of Social Science Informatics, University of Amsterdam,
	Herengracht 196, NL-1016 BS Amsterdam, The Netherlands.