Change in the structure of the Sun-Spots archives

William LeFebvre phil at Rice.edu
Thu Mar 23 12:58:46 AEST 1989

On Wednesday March 29 I am going to rearrange the files in the sun-spots
portion of the Rice archives.  I will create a separate directory for each
digest volume and all issues for a given volume, along with the digest
"master" index, will be placed in the directory.  This will effect the way
digests are retrieved for both FTP and archive server users.  FTP users
will have to "cd" to the directory for the corresponding volume.  Archive
server users will have to be more specific when requesting an area.

Here is an example.  Suppose you wanted to retrieve volume 6 issue 100.
FTP users would type the following commands after connecting:

	ftp> cd sun-spots/v6
	ftp> get n100

Alternately, one could just issue the command "get sun-spots/v6/n100".

Archive-server users would send the following request:

	send sun-spots/v6 n100

I will see what I can do to make the archive server understand the old
format as well, but don't hold your breath.

For convenience, the master indexes---v6.index, v7.index---will be
available in both the sun-spots directory and the corresponding
subdirectory.

This rearrangement has not happened yet, but it will happen next
Wednesday.  Requests made around that time may fail mysteriously.

	William LeFebvre