Stopping screenload

Martin Ward martin%EASBY.DURHAM.AC.UK at cunyvm.cuny.edu
Tue Mar 14 22:34:51 AEST 1989

We use a small set-uid root program called "suntools.sec" which changes
ownership of /dev/fb to the person logged into the console and sets
permissions on it to 600, and then runs suntools. When suntools terminates
it sets the ownership and permissions back to normal. It seems to work ok
with no problems (only problem I have had is doing an su and then trying
to run a grapgics program. Solution is to do "chgrp <some group I am in
and the userid i am su-ing to is in. ie staff>" and chmod 666 /dev/fb.
This is possible because I own /dev/fb while suntools is running).

        Martin.

[[ I think he meant "660" instead of "666".  --wnl ]]

My ARPANET address is:  martin%EASBY.DUR.AC.UK at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
JANET: martin at uk.ac.dur.easby    BITNET: martin%dur.easby at ac.uk
UUCP:  ...!mcvax!ukc!easby!martin