How well HP and SUNs work together

steinmetz!dawn!stpeters at uunet.uu.net steinmetz!dawn!stpeters at uunet.uu.net
Wed Mar 8 05:03:36 AEST 1989

hplabs!burdick at hpindda.hp.com (Matt Burdick) writes:
>Terminal support:
>
>	HP-UX uses terminfo while SUN uses termcap.

This isn't quite correct - and isn't fair to *either* vendor.  HP does use
terminfo but provides termcap emulation.  I haven't tried it and don't
know how transparent it is.

Suns can use either termcap or terminfo and come with both.  I haven't
tried Sun's terminfo and don't know how transparent its use is.

However, where the Sun shines (if you'll pardon the expression) is that
you get utilities for converting between terminfo and termcap.  These I
have used, and they're lifesavers.  Thanks to these, our Suns have an HP
termcap entry, and our HPs have a Sun terminfo.

For those who need to mix and match, "/usr/5bin/infocmp -C" run on an
NFS-mounted HP compiled terminfo file generates a termcap entry.  To
generate a Sun terminfo entry on an HP, run /usr/5bin/captoinfo on the Sun
termcap to get terminfo source, then tic (compile) the source on either a
Sun or HP.  Both Sun and HP provide both tic and untic.

Dick St.Peters
GE Corporate R&D, Schenectady, NY
stpeters at ge-crd.arpa
uunet!steinmetz!stpeters