Popup window version of rwall

Dave Hiebeler hiebeler at turing.cs.rpi.edu
Tue Mar 7 09:36:04 AEST 1989

In article <8902142213.AA00947 at icarus> you write:
>...I'd like to be able to send a message to all of the active clients
>that would be displayed in a popup window with a "Done" box on top of all
>other existing windows. Has anyone done anything like this? Any pointers
>to easily modified code to do something like this?

One way to do this (other than making everyone use contool, as wnl pointed
out) might be to put the SunView escape-sequences that raise and resize a
window into the broadcast message.  That is, put in the character sequence
that raises the window on top of all others, and perhaps resize it to be a
full-screen window.  (Resizing it would be somewhat obnoxious, but
probably preferable to them not knowing that the fileserver is about to go
away).

I don't know if rwall would filter out those characters; it might be worth
a shot though.  The escape-character sequences are described in the
shelltool man-page.

----
Dave Hiebeler             Internet: hiebeler at cs.rpi.edu  (preferred address)
Computer Science Dept.            hiebeler%cs.rpi.edu at itsgw.rpi.edu
Amos Eaton Bldg.            Bitnet: userfrzk at rpitsmts.bitnet
Rensselaer Polytechnic Inst.
Troy, NY 12180-3590

[[ But what would they do to plain-jane terminals?  Remember the extent of
an "rwall".  --wnl ]]