Programming environments for Sun 4: POPLOG

Aaron Sloman aarons%cvaxa.sussex.ac.uk at nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Mar 7 09:15:53 AEST 1989

Andie Ness:
>We are currently looking for development environments for C, Prolog and
>Lisp for Sun 4s.  ....
>Does anyone know of any other environments for these languages ?

The Sussex University POPLOG System (version 13.6) runs on Sun-4. It
provides incremental compilers for Prolog, Common Lisp, Pop-11, ML
(optional extra) plus window manager, external_load/unload for C programs,
facilities for libraries and documentation, etc. etc.

The next release will include an X-11 interface (already in use at
Sussex).

If you want to know more about Poplog, ask your colleague, Steve Isard,
who knows it well.

Our experience is that most things in Poplog, apart from integer
multiplication, go between 1.5 and 2.5 times as fast on a Sun4/260 as on a
Sun3/280. A Sun4/260 with 32 Mbytes and two Eagles, used as a multi-access
computer keeps at least 25 simultaneous student users very happy. We have
not yet tried larger numbers.

Aaron Sloman,
School of Cognitive and Computing Sciences,
Univ of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9QN, England
    ARPANET : aarons%uk.ac.sussex.cogs at nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
              aarons%uk.ac.sussex.cogs%nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk at relay.cs.net
    JANET     aarons at cogs.sussex.ac.uk
    BITNET:   aarons%uk.ac.sussex.cogs at uk.ac
        or    aarons%uk.ac.sussex.cogs%ukacrl.bitnet at cunyvm.cuny.edu

    UUCP:     ...mcvax!ukc!cogs!aarons
            or aarons at cogs.uucp
IN CASE OF DIFFICULTY use "syma" instead of "cogs"
Phone:  University +(44)-(0)273-678294  (Direct line. Diverts to secretary)