Sun device driver questions?

Gary Stewart leibniz!garyst at bnr-fos.uucp
Fri Mar 24 09:51:00 AEST 1989

I am currently looking at writing a device driver for a  pair of cards
that compose a single device. Theses are VME cards and will be installed
in a SUN 3.  Each card has it's own processor with down loadable
instruction rams. Each card also believe's it has an address space of one
megabyte. I have three questions which are as follows

1. Is the csr value in the Sun Config file the physical address of the actual
   card and if not, how is the physical address supplied to the kernel

2. If the cards are given physical addresses one megabyte apart, can i
   fool the kernel into thinking the two cards are actually one single
   card with a 2 meg address space (an ultimate goal). If i cannot do this,
   what is a good way to make the two cards memory locations appear as one
   so that only one driver is needed.

3. The third question is with respect to loading the ram's. For initial
   test purposes i will load them by way of the write command in conjunction
   with the ioctl function. This is clearly not a satisfactory long term
   solution. I would welcome suggestions from others who have already
   solved this problem as to the best approach.

	thanks    gary

Note: I am unsure of exact mailpath but an attempt follows
  ...utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!bnr-public!garyst

                                        ...utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!bnr