problem with shared memory

Tod Pike tgp at sei.cmu.edu
Mon Mar 6 13:33:32 AEST 1989

I recently had a problem submitted to me that I thought the net would be
able to help with.  A group here has a system that uses shared memory
extensively.  This application works fine on a Microvax, but they were
having problems with it on Suns (3/60's).  The first process would create
a shared memory segment, and attach to it OK, but a second process could
not attach to the segment, getting EINVAL.

I "fixed" the problem by replacing the more or less generic kernel on
their 3/60's with a kernel config'd just for their machine.  Both configs
had the "options IPCSHMEM", "options IPCSEMAPHORE" and "options
IPCMESSAGE" set.  I am mystified as to why the specific kernel worked and
the generic kernel did not.  Any ideas?

	Much Thanks,
	Tod Pike

tgp at sei.cmu.edu