PC-NFS question: symbolic link resolution

Jeff Stearns jeff at tc.fluke.com
Sat Mar 4 11:44:11 AEST 1989

kadmon!jason at mtxinu.com (Jason Venner) writes:
>Does anyone know how pc-nfs resolves symbolic links (or nfs for that
>matter)....
>If I mount a subtree as root, but mount things so that the sym links
>should be resolved (ie on the PC, all the relevant paths/files are there)
>the symlinks do not show up in ls listings.

At mount time:

    # /etc/mount host:pathname "directory"

  - Symbolic links in the pathname argument are pursued by the server at
    mount time.

  - This behavior is uniform for clients of all architectures because the server
    is processing the pathname argument.

Mounted filesystems:

  - The pathname resolution rules for NFS files depend on the client
    architecture.

  - UNIX clients follow symbolic links in pathnames.  (Keep in mind that
    pathnames in symlinks are followed FROM THE CLIENT'S POINT OF VIEW.)

  - PC-NFS clients don't know what a symlink is.  Period.  Symlinks are
    "invisible" to PC-NFS clients.  Thus they can't be followed.

--
    Jeff Stearns        John Fluke Mfg. Co, Inc.               (206) 356-5064
    jeff at tc.fluke.COM   {uw-beaver,microsoft,sun}!fluke!jeff

PS - Calling all users of the Vitalink TransLAN IV Ethernet bridge! Please
     drop me a line.