OpenLook

Dan Lance kodak!lance at cs.rochester.edu
Fri Mar 31 14:28:27 AEST 1989

In article <8903091538.AA17010 at wooglin.scc.com>:
>I just finished reading an article in MacWEEK 7 March 1989 that stated
>that Sun has announced the first programs for Open Look: SunWrite,
>SunPaint, and SUnDraw that are clones of the Mac favorites of the same
>names....
>Does this mean that Open Look is also available immediately??

Having just been to a demo of these three tools today, I can say this:
they're designed to *do* what the Mac tools do, but they're not just
clones of the Mac software.  For example, SunWrite supports continuously
scalable font sizes -- perhaps they are using OpenFonts -- and a rather
sophisticated page layout system for a MacWrite "clone".  SunDraw supports
bezier curves and rotation by arbitrary angles, something MacDraw has
never had.

I didn't play around with the three long enough to get a good idea of how
easy the tools are to use, but my first impressions are that the learning
curve will be steep and short.  I'm writing a PO for a 10-user license for
these products right now, and I'll be glad to post a summary of my
experiences with them (once I get them) if there is sufficient interest.

I've been waiting for these tools for a *long* time.

--drl
Daniel R. Lance / kodak!lance at cs.rochester.edu / ..!rochester!kodak!lance
Eastman Kodak Company, Federal Systems Division, Dept. 390
20 Avenue E, Rochester NY  14653-7205 		(716) 253-5033