Hellmuth Broda mcvax!cgch!whbr at uunet.uu.net
Sat Mar 11 14:03:59 AEST 1989

Hallo Netlanders

A while ago I posted the following request:

   I wonder whether anyone knows about a filter (PD or commercial) that can
   be used in the same fashion as the plot(1g) filter in a sunview
   environment.  I.e. read the output of graph(1g) and produce a plot in a
   window similar to the plots created by perfmeter(1).

   Please e-mail any pointers---I will summarize to this newsgroup.

Several people suggested to use tekplot.  We have been using that tool but
it covers the entire screen and comes with the unusual features of the
Tektronix Terminal (twocolumn writing, 72 columns etc).

Some offered to mail me their programs:

        I may have some routines that do what you want. I need to
    check with one of the programmers to see if there are any restrictions on
    distribution. You would need to provide assurance that there would
    be no commercial use.
        The routine takes the output of graph and puts it in a Sun
    window. Some of the capabilities are a bit primitive: axis labeling
    could use some effort, for example.

From: cernvax!mcvax!rit!prague!mjl (Lutz Mike J)
            A plot(5) library for sun windows, along with a sunplot filter.
    However, the result isn't interactive, in that the window is only
    displayed when closeplot is called.  I used this as the base for a more
    interactive package in our CS courses, but did not carry over the
    entire functionality of plot(5), and added some other bells and
    whistles to meet my particular goals.  You're welcome
    to any or all of this; just drop me a line.

From: cernvax!mcvax!arcturus!dav (David L. Markowitz)
            I have written a couple such filters.  They are relatively
    easy to write.  My current one uses pixwins into a new frame and
    canvas, and goes away on a mouse-click.

I also received some shell archives with instant (ready to use) software.
Time did not allow to analyze all contributions but I checked two out:

From: cernvax!reading.ac.uk!Anthony.D.Worrall
	An archive to produce screenplot.c. Comes with icon. Uses color for
	line types. Works fine.

From: cernvax!mcvax!bu-ma.BU.EDU!scott (Scott Sutherland)
	An archive to produce sunplot.c.  The tool is very powerful allowing
	for zooming inverting axes etc in the sun window tool style with
	bottoms and pop-up windows.  It allows dumping the plot to an icon
	file or to a raster file for printout on a laser printer. Works fine.

From: R. Jacob (sorry---I lost his e-mail address when trimming the archive)
	An archive to produce plotwin.c.  I have not looked at that one yet.

Thanks to all who contributed.  I did not include the archives in this
posting to save net bandwidth.  If you need more info feel free to inquire
via e-mail.

Dr.rer.nat. Hellmuth W. Broda |  c/o CIBA-GEIGY Scientific Computing Ctr.
Biologist and Systems Analyst |  R-1045.3.16, P.O.Box, Tel:+4161 697-7109
UUCP:...!uunet!mcvax!cernvax!cgch!whbr         CH-4002 Basel, Switzerland
Internet:whbr%cgch.uucp at uunet.uu.net; BITNET:whbr%cgch.uucp at cernvax.bitnet