/etc/ttytype under 4.0

Dinah Anderson dinah at shell.UUCP
Thu Mar 16 10:29:45 AEST 1989

In troubleshooting a terminal problem, I noticed that there is no longer a
/etc/ttytype file under 4.0. However, there is still a man page on
ttytype, but I can find no other reference to ttytype in the other man
pages:

cd /usr/man/cat1

fmcrunch% grep ttytype ./* | more
fmcrunch%

Under 3.x:

dogwood% grep ttytype ./* | more
./reset.1:     office terminal is hardwired and known in /etc/ttytype, you
./reset.1:     /etc/ttytype port name to terminal type mapping database
./reset.1:     csh(1), sh(1), stty(1V), ttytype(5), termcap(5), environ(5V)
./tset.1:     office terminal is hardwired and known in /etc/ttytype, you
./tset.1:     /etc/ttytype port name to terminal type mapping database
./tset.1:     csh(1), sh(1), stty(1V), ttytype(5), termcap(5), environ(5V)

Should the /etc/ttytype man page not really be distributed? I also ran
across a problem wher

# kill -HUP 1

does not really create new version of /etc/ttys which is what I
interpreted the man page for init to say. Anyone run across this or did I
read the man page wrong?

Dinah Anderson
Shell Oil Company, Information Center (713) 795-3287
...!{sun,psuvax,soma,rice,ut-sally,ihnp4}!shell!dinah