/etc/ttytype under 4.0

Jonathan D. Trudel trudel at caip.rutgers.edu
Fri Mar 31 09:45:56 AEST 1989

>In troubleshooting a terminal problem, I noticed that there is no longer a
>/etc/ttytype file under 4.0.

WHat you need to look at is the man page for ttytab.  Sun in its wisdom
abandoned the /etc/ttys & /etc/ttytype approach in favor of the ttytab
scheme.  It replaces the old system, and is easy to understand.

># kill -HUP 1

>does not really create new version of /etc/ttys which is what I
>interpreted the man page for init to say. Anyone run across this or did I
>read the man page wrong?

When you 'kill' init, ttys is re-initialized to the values found in
ttytab.  If you don't change ttytab, ttys isn't re-created (or is it, but
with the same values?).

	Jon