Shared library problems

Howard C. Hart nova!hart at decwrl.dec.com
Wed May 31 05:11:38 AEST 1989

In article <723 at dutrun.UUCP> duttnph!robert at nluug.nl (Robert de Vries) writes:

>Therefore I get a message 'ld.so: __qfree not found' when I start a
>program compiled with -lX11.
>
>When I link the executable using a command like:
>
>cc -o exec exec.o /usr/lib/libX11.so.1.0 /usr/lib/libX11.sa.1.0
>
>everything works fine.  When I exchange the last two files the program
>aborts with the message above.  I figured that when I could create a

Hmmmm.... Looks suspiciously like the message I used to get when I called
some FORTRAN libraries out of order. This problem also fixed itself when I
made sure any subroutines called from one library were available in the
following library called from the command line. I.E. -
/usr/lib/libX11.sa.1.0 is calling a subroutine in /usr/lib/libX11.so.1.0.
Or maybe I just misunderstood the question?

Howard C. Hart                  UUCP:{sun!sunncal,pyramid}!leadsv!laic!nova!hart
Lockheed Missiles and Space Co.
Orgn 59-53, Bldg 593            Ph: (408) 743-2253 or -7353
Sunnyvale, CA 94086