Sun 386i ethernet problems, ypbind

K. Glen Newton knewton at watsup.waterloo.edu
Wed May 31 03:49:05 AEST 1989

I have a sun386i/150 with 8meg and a 91 meg disk. Last week, what i
believe to was a power surge wiped out the NVRAM of the system. I reset
the nvram, but a couple of problems developed: i could only log on as
root, as it appears that ypbind was not working. During the boot sequence,
the following appears:

          ie0: init failed: no intr

(later ...)
          ypbind: cannot register services RPC: unable to send: errno Network
is down

i tried checking things out with the sysex, which says there is nothing
wrong with the ethernet (but also says that there are no packets
coming)...

an other funny problem occurrs when i try to access the floppy drive from
inside a dos window: i can do a "dir" on drive a: , but if i try to read a
file on a: or execute a program, i get "General read error drive a:".  I'm
not entirely sure that this is really a problem, as i have never before
started a dos window when i was root, so this may be something that
happened before.

anyways, i would appreciate any help as i am getting rather frustrated, and
i am supposed to be writing a manuscript .....

thanks,

       glen
       knewton at watsup.waterloo.edu
       {utai,uunet}!watmath!watsup!knewton