Software Support

Mike Jipping jipping at cs.hope.edu
Wed May 10 02:32:18 AEST 1989

dbabsd at delphi.bsd.uchicago.edu (DBA - bsd):
> chris at bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Chris Peck)
> writes:
>
>>Has anyone else run into anything like the following before?
>>
>>Last Weds (3/29) I called Sun Software Support...

> what's most
> irritating is that we PAID for 2-4 hour turn around (please don't laugh,
> as i'm sure sun does all the way to the bank, it really is in the
> contract).  but, i guess sun doesn't honor contracts...(?).  come on, sun,
> either give those of us who PAID for our support the support you promised
> or give us some kind of rebate.

I've often wondered about this.  When we renewed our maintenance contract
with Sun, there was this official document I had to read before signing.
The contract I signed for AnswerLine Service (Exhibit 4B) says under the
Terms of Participation that

     Sun engineers shall respond to the initial Customer inquiry within
     two business hours.  A follow-up response will be provided within
     four business hours; such response may consist ...

Now, we have -- like everyone else, it seems -- experienced abysmal
software support from Sun.  I'd be ecstatic if I got next-day response --
heck, even same-week response.  And so, aside from bitchin' on Sun-Spots
and nuking the local sales office, what's a mere mortal end-user supposed
to do?

Then I read the "Master Service Terms and Conditions", item 2c:

     If either party fails to perform its obligations under this Agreement
     and such failure continues for a period of twenty (20) days after
     written notice thereof, the other party shall have the right to
     terminate this agreement.

Or, paraphrased, "like it or lump it"!  You had better write them the day
after your call -- and you can cancel service three weeks later.  Thank
you very much and have a nice day!

      Mike Jipping                        Internet: jipping at cs.hope.edu
      Hope College                          BITNET: JIPPING at HOPE
      Department of Computer Science         Voice: Hey!