Software Support

Andy Wilcox ajw at serc.cis.ufl.edu
Sat May 6 16:42:44 AEST 1989

In article <2054 at bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> chris at bingvaxu (Chris Peck) writes:

>Has anyone else run into anything like the following before?
>
>[Incredible story about delays in sun software support deleted]

Well, I never thought I'd be writing to sun spots!  But, the most
incredible thing happened to me last month...

I, too, called sun with a software [bug/feature] question, on March 30,
late in the afternoon.  Probably too late to expect a call back on Friday,
which is fine.  So, next Friday (4/7) rolls around with no call back.  Oh
well, lots of stuff to do...  So, home for the weekend, comfortable with
thoughts of solace for those support guys who are so backed up its taking
them more than a week to call me.  Monday (4/9) I call sun, give them my
reference number (*288069* if anybody is still alive, conscious, and able
to read out there).  The secretary was, of course, very nice, and assured
me that it would be soon.  Hmmmphft.  I called sun about, oh, 6 times
since then, and, it seems, my question has been elevated to manager level.

Great.  However, it's now been FOUR WEEKS since I originally placed the
call, and I've gotten not a hello or a goodbye from support.

In case anybody has assumed otherwise, reverse entropy has not caused the
software problem in question to fix itself in a puff of fractal
improbability.

Make ya wonder how those 3100's are...