sun 3/60 rebooting

Barry Shein bzs at bu-cs.bu.edu
Sat May 6 20:09:45 AEST 1989

>the only cure would be an engineering upgrade from Sun (or whoever)
>or expensive power conditioning.

I'm not sure that power conditioning has to be expensive, I bought a used
power conditioner (shoe box sized thing I put on the floor, Wang, 1200w)
for $85 and run a 3/60 (mono) off it. It does buzz a bit but when I had a
terminal on that line the screen would do these bizarre waving things when
the A/C was on, this cured that. I got mine from Eli ("Home of the Bruised
Computer") Heffron's in Cambridge, MA (on Hampshire St.) Might be worth
looking into, these things were not discovered by the PC world and there's
no need to spend $1K on a new one.

On a similar note, has anyone ever heard of a "black box" which, if the
power goes off, would stay off until someone comes and manually intervenes
(that is, if there's a blackout I don't want my machine rebooting when I'm
not there since there's a tendency for them to bounce the power on and off
a few times before they get things going again, I'd just as soon have it
stay down until someone is around to boot it manually.)

	-Barry Shein, Software Tool & Die

There's nothing more terrifying to hardware vendors than
satisfied customers.