Exabyte compatibility?

Michael Scott scott at ncifcrf.gov
Fri May 19 02:39:25 AEST 1989

Our site has contracted a certain company to supply us with a working
EXABYTE tape drive.  They wrote their own device driver for the EXABYTE.
It has been nearly a year now and it is still not functional.  It seems
the device driver written for the EXABYTE conflicts with the existing
device driver for our Xylogics 472 tape drive.

>From reading comp.sys.sun I noticed that some sites are using the SCSI
driver(st) for the EXABYTE.  If this is possible then why did this company
write their own?   Can we use the st driver?  Our machine is a 3/280s
running 3.5 with a Xylogic 472 tape unit, Fujitsu-M2361 Eagle and Hitachi
Dk-815-10.  I can get a SCSI board to try out the st driver if it works.

Thanks in advance for any help

		Mike