Login problem on modem line

Patel M S PATELMS%DUVM.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu
Mon May 29 07:45:27 AEST 1989

We have a SUN4/260 running OS 3.5. We had a Hayes Smartmodem 1200
connected to serial port B as dialin/dialout and had no problems.  But the
problems started when our university went for new digital telophone lines
with "Northern Telecom". The new telephone lines made our Hayes modem
obselete and we got new modem compatible with the digital lines which is
supposed to be Hayes compatible in limited sense. This new modem is a kind
of menu driven and sends out a menu like

ENTER NUMBER OR H (FOR HELP):   h

A - AUTO DIAL        S - SPEED CALL
C - CALL             M - MODIFY
D - DISPLAY
SELECT:

We are able to dialout (with some difficulty) but we are not able to
enable login on to this line. The problem seems to be following.  Moment
we enable login, "getty" gets the menu from the modem and detects the
carrier and the modem reacts to "getty" with the followig message

INVALID COMMAND/ENTRY
REENTER:

it seems like they go in an infinite loop and we get a silo overflow
message. We tried SUN but no solution. Can somebody out there in the
netland help us solve this problem?  Thanks in advance.

Patel M S,
Computer Vision Lab,
Drexel University,
Philadelphia PA 19104