Sun 3/80 shoebox? serial speed?

Mike Clarkson mike at ists.ists.ca
Thu May 11 21:21:54 AEST 1989

voss%s.cs.uiuc.edu at a.cs.uiuc.edu (Bill Voss) writes:
> "One SCSI port" that sounds as though the 3/80 will be able to use current
> shoe-boxes.  Does anyone KNOW?  (I'm thinking of 3rd party disks. Can "I"
> buy one now and move it later?)

I was told no, that it is the newer SCSI-II interface.  The glossies don't
say anything. But the specs on the external 327 M drive look awfully much
like a Wren-IV, so maybe the Sales person  was confused.

> Does anyone KNOW what the top (Supported and/or Real) speed of the serial
> ports on the 3/80 will be?  Same question with respect to the current
> 3/60.  (I'm hoping to hear 56k for ISDN, but not expecting to.)

My *speculation* is that you'll be lucky to get 38k.

Mike.
Mike Clarkson					mike at ists.ists.ca
Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science	uunet!attcan!ists!mike
York University, North York, Ontario,		FORTRAN - just say no.
CANADA M3J 1P3					+1 (416) 736-5611