VT100 Emulation software

JQ Johnson jqj at oregon.uoregon.edu
Tue May 9 17:05:01 AEST 1989

sterritt%sdevax.decnet at crdgw1.ge.com (Chris Sterritt)
writes:
> SO, is there a package (ideally, of course, public-domain) that does good
> vt100 emulation?  Where can we get it?

I know of no good PD vt100 package for Suns, but a fair one is vttool,
which was posted to sun-spots in March of 1988.  vttool consists of 2
parts, a Sunview window with programmable "keypad" in a subwindow and a
termcap based vt100 emulator that runs in a tty subwindow.  The latter
piece, vtem, provides output emulation of vt100 escape sequences,
translating them into the native display commands of whatever terminal it
is running on.

The vtem distributed with vttool does not do a good job of vt100
emulation.  I recently rewrote it to do a much better job, e.g. to support
terminal inquiries so SET TERM/INQ on our VMS machines would work and not
to get confused when put into 132 column mode.  I have uploaded vtem.shar
to titan.rice.edu as ~ftp/incoming/vtem.shar.  Perhaps WNL would be so
good as to include it in the sun-spots source archives (or tell me the
protocol for source submissions)?