OS 4 Sendmail.cf doesn't match documentation

Todd Sandor mitel!sce!cognos!todds at uunet.uu.net
Wed May 10 08:10:19 AEST 1989

ultra!shj at ames.arc.nasa.gov (Steve Jay) writes:
>The OS 4 "System & Network Administration" manual, part # 800-1733-10,
>revision A of 9 May 1988, discusses "setting up the Mail Routing System"
>beginning on page 375.   On the bottom of page 377, it describes modifying
>the sendmail.cf file.  It says to look for lines that look like

Read chaper 18 "Sendmail Installation and Operation" (great fun!!)
+ .....
>and change them to our domain name.  My problem is, there are no lines
>#       @(#)main.mc 1.15 88/02/08 SMI

so is mine.

>A related question:  I've seen several messages in sun-spots about patches
>to "sendmail 5.61", or some such.  Does this have anything to do with the
>version of sendmail that I get with Sun OS 4?  If I'm not supposed to be
>running the sendmail that came with OS 4, where do I get whatever I should

There seems to be problems with sendmail with the SunOS 4.0, in our case
found that the $m macro (Domain name) doesn't seem to work with outgoing
mail (messes up the Message-Id for example), so we have had to hard code
the name in to all $m locations, for example our main mailer has:

# You have two choices here.  If you want the gateway machine to identify
# itself as the DOMAIN, use this line:
Djcognos
instead of:
# If you want the gateway machine to appear to be INSIDE the domain, use:
Dj.$m
like it says in the documentations.  Our subsidiary sendmail.cf looks like:
# my official hostname
Dj$w.cognos

Note that you have to replace all $m with your domain name in the
sendmail.cf files.  We also have a call into Sun Support on this one, but
don't have a reply yet.  So far (less than a week) this fix seems to have
worked (at least have not gotten nasty messages from sites we connect to).

Todd Sandor             Voice: (613) 738-1338 ext 2704     P.O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated     FAX: (613) 738-0002                3755 Riverside Dr.
uucp: todds at cognos || uunet!mitel!scs!cognos!todds         Ottawa, Ontario
Steady as she goes!                                        CANADA  K1G 3Z4