3/75 power supply / connector to backplane

Karl Kleine -- FZI Karlsruhe kleine at ira.uka.de
Sat May 6 20:21:56 AEST 1989

I remember to have seen a couple of weeks or months ago a note here
about the bad quality of the connector of the 3/75 power supply to
the backplane. We just had two of them burned to pieces. In one case
our technican had simply swapped the power supply half a year ago,
when it wasn't that bad, but these beasts are now biting back.

I need that old message, and any additional evidence of similar cases
from the net so that i can put it all on Sun Germany's desk ...
It used some hard words and it's message was ``design fault''.

As we are on the subject: The recent book ``Thriving on Chaos'' by Peters
(the same Peters who wrote ``in Search of Excellence'') has quite a lot to
say about the decline of US industry and the role resp. non-role of quality in
all kinds of goods produced in the US in that process. Maybe someeone could buy
a truckload of copies for the SUN corporate library :-). That connector isn't
the only item i don't like, but on the other hand... You're always biased, but
it would be a shame if such nasty things would make us hate these otherwise
so cute boxes. It's just that there were so many such cases recently.

Karl Kleine, Forschungszentrum Informatik
Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-7500 Karlsruhe, West Germany
kleine at uka.uucp, {...}!unido!uka!kleine, kleine at germany.csnet, +49-721-690639