Fileserver/Console/SCSI/4.0.3 Questions of the Burning Variety

Farooq Butt fmbutt at cloud9.stratus.com
Sat May 27 12:08:14 AEST 1989

Howdy Y'all-

  Here's some fun questions I had queued up for a rainy day:

  1. How can we use a serial terminal in NON-DIAG mode as the console.
     Everything works fine when we are in DIAG mode on the 3/280S but
     not when we are in norm mode.....?

  2. Why is the NORM/DIAG switch on the back of the 3/280 a 3 way
     switch (as opposed to a 2 way one (the more intuitively obvious)) ?

  3. What is 4.0.3 *exactly* and why does Sun insist that it is a beta
     product ?

  4. Is the Sun-supplied SCSI tape a "standard" WANGTEC-type SCSI tape ?
     (i.e. can we chuck it and use a WANGTEC SCSI tape drive)

     I know you Sun gurus out there are up to my challenge.....
     Please mail me personally if your answer if you like !

     Farooq Butt

     fmbutt at cloud9.UUCP
     (508) 460-2798 (Stratus Computer, Marlboro, MA)