FAX for Sun Network?

Ken Mandelberg km at mathcs.emory.edu
Mon May 15 05:17:38 AEST 1989

Apologies in advance, I am largely ignorant about what FAX systems are
available.  I basically know that there are standalone FAX machines with
built in scanners and printers, and IBM PC and MAC add-ons which I imagine
are designed for manual operation on single user systems.

What I am interest in is add-on hardware/software for a Sun network with
the following characteristics:

1) The hardware attaches to the server.

2) The hardware auto-answers the phone, receives the image, and triggers
software to put the image in a spool directory.

3) Ideally the spooled images are tagged with some identifying information
that determines a user for which the image is destined.  The user is
notified of the arrival by mail. At worst the system administrator is
notified and figures out who to notify.

4) Software filters are needed to transform the images for both screen
viewing (say by X) and printing (say in Postscript).

5) Scanning hardware is needed to input hardcopy.

6) Software filters are needed to convert the scanned input into a file
appropriate for FAX transmission, as well as filters to convert existing
bitmaps and Postscript files to FAX format.

7) Software is needed  to spool outgoing FAX for transmissions. The queue
is serviced when the receiving hardware is idle, with provision for
periodic retries if the transfer is unsuccessful.

8) It is a real plus if the scanner can also be used for OCR.

9) It is a real plus if the modem hardware can also be used for normal tty
conections (getty,uucp,tip,kermit) if the incoming call is not FAX, or the
outgoing connection does not select FAX mode.

Is a package anything like this available? How close can I come?

Ken Mandelberg      | km at mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!km     UUCP
Dept of Math and CS | km at emory.bitnet              NON-DOMAIN BITNET
Atlanta, GA 30322   | Phone: (404) 727-7963