sun bug 1008635: hardware? software? fixed?

Kirk Smith ks at ee.ecn.purdue.edu
Fri May 12 01:59:57 AEST 1989

In article <swordfish.610223134 at minster.york.ac.uk> forsyth at minster.york.ac.uk writes:
>	Synopsis: possible cache problem on 3/280
>Has the trouble been traced?  Was it hardware or software?

I filed the initial bug report.  It took a while to isolate it, but Sun
discovered that it was due to code in IP forwarding that would use bcopy
improperly.  The kernel attempted to use the bcopy "hardware", which will
not work if the addresses overlap.  In fact, it will trash the cache if
the source and destination overlap. Sun provided a fix for SunOS3.X that
included a modified ip_something.o and a new movc.o that had a check in
bcopy for this improper calling condition, and would panic rather than
trash the cache.  It is fixed in SunOS4.0.

					Kirk Smith
					Purdue EE