sun os bug in semop() handling

Louis operldl at griffin.uvm.edu
Thu May 11 19:56:37 AEST 1989

The system call semop(), reportedly (according to man 2 semop) returns the
value of semval after the operation.  Unfortunately this isn't the case in
release 4.0.  What it does return is 0, or -1 on error, which is not
sufficient.

1. Has anyone else encountered this bug?

I have traced down the mistake to the system's semop() function. This
function unlike semctl() in the same file, does not set up u.u_rval1 =
semval.

The fix should be to set `u.u_rval1 = semval' in the source code. However
since I've never mucked with fixing the UNIX os before I'm unsure of the
best way to go about this.

I have checked the latest Sun bug reports & found no mention of this bug.

2. Some tips about this would also be helpful.

Please send any replies to me at:

			operldl at gen.uvm.edu

							Thanks.