uucp over tcp?

Richard L. Kruse II rlk at tusun2.knet.utulsa.edu
Fri May 5 22:40:58 AEST 1989

I am trying to connect a Harris MCX5 (running some flavor of UNIX) to the
rest of my local network. The desire is for the Harris to serve as a mail
host for the EE department here at the university.  For the most part,
communication across the ethernet seems to work, with one glaring
exception: the Harris doesn't (yet?) speak SMTP.  What it does provide is
a uucp daemon that can communicate via tcp port #251.

What I intended to do was to try to configure my main domain mail
forwarder, a Sun 3/160 running 4.0.1, to send mail to the Harris using the
uucp protocol over tcp.  I added entries to my /etc/services and
/etc/inetd.conf files (below), but when I started inetd, I got messages
like > Apr 24 15:26:42 tusun2 inetd[174]: uucico/tcp: unknown service

The /etc/services entry is:
> uucico      251/tcp     uucp

The /etc/inetd.conf entry is:
> uucico  stream  tcp wait    root    /usr/lib/uucp/uucico uucico

If I try to telnet into the Sun using port 251, I get "connection
refused".  If I telnet into the Harris on this port, I get the uucico
"Shere".  I also noticed that our 386i seems to be partially set up for
this type of behavior, as its /etc/services contains this line:

> uucp            540/tcp         uucpd           # uucp daemon

but it is not mentioned in /etc/inetd.conf.

What am I missing? Is there a (better) way to do this? I hate to dedicate
a slowwwwww serial line when we have the ethernet in place.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rick Kruse
University of Tulsa