rlogin trouble: Chars translated into ^D

Rob McMahon cudcv at cu.warwick.ac.uk
Sat May 6 04:52:16 AEST 1989

felix!arcturus!dav at hplabs.hp.com (David L. Markowitz) writes:
|Your choice of work-arounds:
|	2. Kill the offending process (that'll teach that frosh!)

I've seen pty's in this state after the process has finished, so I don't
think 2 always works.  It can also manifest itself as a complete inability
to rlogin to a machine (login sees ^D and goes away again).  My solution
is

	5. cd somewhere innocuous, type `script', then `reset', `exit', remove
	   the typescript file, and your pty is fixed.

Works for me, no guarantees.  On a machine with lots of people logging in
and out it's sometimes useful to nest the scripts, doing a `tty' in each
one, until you get to the line that's jammed.

Rob
--
UUCP:   ...!mcvax!ukc!warwick!cudcv	PHONE:  +44 203 523037
JANET:  cudcv at uk.ac.warwick             ARPA:   cudcv at warwick.ac.uk
Rob McMahon, Computing Services, Warwick University, Coventry CV4 7AL, England