mixing 3.3 and 4.X within a local net

mr at racal-itd.co.uk mr at racal-itd.co.uk
Fri May 5 21:15:45 AEST 1989

Can't claim specific knowledge of mixing 3.3 with 4.X, but certainly claim
claim 3.2 mith 4.0.1 - it works fine. We still have over half our machines
running 3.2 (to support existing products). The 3.2 and 4.0.1 run separate
YP domains (messy, but rather unavoidable - we need to stick fairly
closely to vanilla Sun distributions). We have a wide range of models on
this net (Sun-2 and up). This includes 386i, but we did ditch SNAP and
just run them as part of the main 4.0.1 domain.

All systems are happily cross-mounting NFS file systems. The only pain is
remembering which "universe" you are currently logged in to. Most painful
between 386i and non-386i - need to use different .defaults, etc.  to get
best benefits (ask for copies of my .login if interested). Even as I
write, I note that the 386i diskless in front of me is served by a 3/280,
all on the one net.

        Martin Reed, Racal Imaging Systems Ltd

uucp: mr at ritd.co.uk, uunet!ukc!ritd!mr, sunuk!ritd!mr
Global String: +44 256 469943   Fax: +44 256 471492
Paper: Rankine Road, Basingstoke, Hants, England, RG24 0NW

#include <std_disclaimer.h>