Strange behavior between syslogd and sendmail

Jeff Stearns jeff at tc.fluke.com
Thu May 18 04:13:21 AEST 1989

In Sun-Spots-Digest: Volume 7, Issue 262, message 11 of 14,
91erm at bigbird.cc.williams.edu writes:

> [Excess text deleted .. ]
>The wierd thing is this: there are *NO* entries in log files of any sort,
>kind or shape.  I have a line like the following the /etc/syslog.conf of
>all our machines:
>
>mail.debug             /var/log/maillog
>
>and there's no trace of these events in the log....

Sun broke syslogd when they released SunOS 4.0.  It's alleged to be fixed
by 4.0.3, due out sometime in June.

You can run "syslogd -d" to see more clearly what the problems are.
On a Sun-3, syslogd does this:
        - syslogd thinks that all hostnames match "localhost"
        - syslogd thinks that it's a great idea to prepend
                define(LOGHOST,1)
          to the start of the syslog.conf file when sending it through m4.

If you have source, lint will identify the problem.

    Jeff Stearns        John Fluke Mfg. Co, Inc.               (206) 356-5064
    jeff at tc.fluke.COM   {uw-beaver,microsoft,sun}!fluke!jeff

PS - Calling all users of the Vitalink TransLAN IV Ethernet bridge! Please
     drop me a line.